Tonight it is supposed to get down to 18 degrees in Atlanta. For those in the North, this may be the norm but for those of us in the Deep South, this is frigid. So, I plan to cook a warm soup to keep us warm on this cold evening.
- 6 large russet potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 14-oz cans of chicken broth
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper, freshly ground
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 8 oz sour cream (optional)
- 4 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled (optional)
- Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Combine potatoes, onion, chicken broth, butter, salt, and pepper in a 5 quart crockpot.
- Cover and cook until potatoes are tender (approximately 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low).
- Mash mixture until potatoes are coarsely chopped and soup is slightly thickened.
- Stir in whipping cream, cheese, and chives.
- Top with sour cream, bacon, and or Cheddar cheese.