Here is an example of how I plan to eat an elephant with one of my goals.
Add clients to consulting business. My goal is to add 5 new clients this year. Here are the things I will need to do to achieve this goal.
- Brainstorm a list of at least 30 potential clients.
- Research potential clients to determine which of my services suit their estimated needs.
- Contact each of the potential clients to setup meetings to introduce myself and my services. Continue to contact the potential clients until actually setup meetings.
- Meet with clients having a draft of what services I can best provide their campaign. During meeting determine how my draft changes based on what their needs actually are.
- Before leaving meeting, setup specific date to follow up with them in person.
- Create a specific proposal drawn up to meet their needs.
- Meet with them again using proposal to close the deal.
Here is a timeline for each step:
- Brainstorming: 1 day
- Research: For each client, it takes about 6 – 8 hours of dedicated time. The most largest block of dedicated time I have is 4 solid hours of time while the children are in preschool and then 3 hours or so total before they wake up or after they go to bed. So for each client, it will take me about 2 days to do this.
- Contact to setup meeting: 10 minutes at a time as I finish research on clients until I can setup meeting. This is the step that I have the least control over because I am dependent on others to answer or return their calls.
- 1st Meeting: 2 hours for each client
- Specific proposal: 2 hours for each client
- 2nd Meeting: 1 ½ hours
- To meet my goal of 5 new clients this year, I need to add one a month between February and June.
- Brainstorming deadline: February 8
- Research deadline: 2 new clients per week
- Contact: 1 new client every 2 weeks by calling each potential client as they are researched 1 time per week.
- Meeting: Have 2 meetings a week in March, April, and May
- Proposal Deadline: 48 hours after meeting with client
- 2nd Meeting: 1 – 2 weeks after first meeting
For this goal, my deadlines are a bit nebulous because I still I am dependent on others to achieve the goals. Still, while I do not know who the specific potential clients with whom I will meet, it seems reasonable that starting in March, I should be able to have 2 meetings per week.