Mommy Blog

• 3 1/2 cups pastry flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 3/4 cups water, room temperature, divided
  • 6 large egg whites

Cupcake Directions

• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  • Line muffin/cupcake pan with paper cups.
  • Split open the vanilla bean and scrape free the seeds.
  • Add butter, 1 1/2 cups plus 3 tablespoons of sugar, and vanilla seeds to an electric mixer bowl.
  • Mix on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
  • Sift together flour, salt, and baking powder onto wax paper.
  • Reduce the mixer speed to low and alternately pour 1/2 of the dry ingredients and 1/2 of the water, mixing well after each addition.
  • In another bowl and the electric mixer, whisk the egg whites on medium high speed until soft peaks form, about 2 minutes.
  • Reduce the speed to low and slowly add the remaining 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar.
  • Increase speed to medium-high and beat until soft peaks form.
  • Gently fold the egg whites into the cake batter in two or three additions.
  • Spoon the batter into the baking cups, filled to about 3/4 full.
  • Bake on the middle rack of preheated oven until the centers of the cupcakes spring back, between 15 and 2- minutes.
  • Cool pan on wire rack for 5 minutes.
  • Frost each cake with White Chocolate Buttercream Frosting.

White Chocolate Buttercream Frosting Ingredients

• 2 sticks butter
  • 6 ounces white chocolate, melted in double broiler and cooled to room temperature
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon milk
  • 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar

White Chocolate Buttercream Frosting Directions

• Using electric mixer, beat butter until smooth and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
  • Add chocolate and stir until just combined with a rubber spatula.
  • Add milk, vanilla, and sugar and beat until just combined.

If you like this recipe, you may also like my recipes for Sour Cream Sugar Cookies & Frosting and Baked Alaska.

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!

Tags: Recipes

7 responses so far ↓

• 1 Menu Plan Monday « Jen’s Genuine Life // Feb 11, 2008 at 1:13 pm

[...] anything special this week to celebrate Valentine’s Day? I plan to make Heart Shaped Vanilla Bean Cupcakes and Sour Cream Sugar Cookies with GigglyGirl and [...]

• 2 zizzy310 // Feb 16, 2008 at 2:09 pm

I just made your frosting…it is amazing. Thank you!

• 3 Ruby // Mar 26, 2008 at 12:54 pm

Hello Jen,

I’ve made a couple of your recipes before and they have been great. One question, what weight measure is 2 sticks of butter please? I was recently in the North of Belgium and as guests at a friends, we had these amazing bicuit/choc bites that we’re just undescribable, they tasted like butter cream, with white chocolate in a round shape, about 1 inch and dusted with icing suger, they were served straight from the freezer. Are they simply your white chocolate butter cream frosting – fozen? will it set if I just make small blobs on a baking sheet? I’d really like your opinion, many thanks Ruby

• 4 Pam // Jun 9, 2008 at 9:26 pm

I made this frosting and it did not turn out well. I could not taste the white chocolate and it was too soft even after omitting the milk.

• 5 jenuinejen // Jun 14, 2008 at 10:47 am

Pam,

I am sorry that your frosting did not turn out well. The white chocolate is a light flavor.

When I have made the frosting, it has been thick enough to spread and it does not slide off the cupcake. I am certainly not a cupcake (or cake in general) expert. I do not know the exact consistency you are hoping for. If you find a recipe you like better, feel free to link to it from this post.

• 6 Nancy // Jul 13, 2008 at 9:20 pm

I’m sorry…but this did not turn out good at all! Too much baking powder made it taste bad! Maybe I just had high expectations from the vanilla bean cupcakes I had from a wonderful LA bakery.

• 7 Amber // Nov 5, 2008 at 5:48 pm

I made these for a friend’s bridal shower. They were amazing. I colored the frosting lavender and piped the tops to look like spirals, representing flowers. Everyone loved the vanilla bean and the white chocolate frosting.